Searching for Housing

Child's painting of a house

How do I find affordable housing in London and Middlesex?

There are many different kinds of affordable housing in London and Middlesex.

Rent-Geared-to-Income Social Housing

Rent-geared-to-income is rent that is charged based on a person's income. The rent changes as your income changes. The rent is usually 30% of your gross income from all sources (such your job, Old Age Security (OAS), Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Employment Insurance (EI), and interest income on savings or investments).

If your income comes from Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) benefits, the rent is determined according to a pre-established rate schedule, based on the total number of people in your household.

Rent-geared-to-income social housing includes public housing (the London and Middlesex Housing Corporation), the Rent Supplement Program (administered by the Housing Access Centre), private nonprofit housing corporations and housing co-ops. If you are interested in applying for rent-geared-to-income social housing, click here.

Low-Rent Private Rental Housing

If you aren't interested in social housing, or are not eligible to apply for social housing, you can contact the London Housing Registry for listings of affordable housing in the area.

New to Canada? Find general information in your own language about housing in Ontario, as well as work, health, education and legal matters, here.